Kerberos + Qpopper Build fails

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 26 01:51:15 EDT 2005

On Jul 26, 2005, at 00:17, Viji wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using kerberos version 1.4.1. Till kerberos version 1.2.8
> "libkrb5util" library was available. But from 1.3 series "libkrb5util"
> library is not available.

Right.  It had two things in it: a wrapper for
setuid/seteuid/setreuid/whatever the local system has, which we moved
into an internal header file, and versions of sendauth/recvauth which
would send or accept krb5 or krb4 tokens on a supplied file descriptor.
  We didn't feel that either was something we wanted to be supporting
for application use.  (Perhaps as a helper function the compat versions
of sendauth/recvauth might have some use; I forget why we decided at
the time that it would be good to get rid of them.  But given that
we're now pushing for eliminating krb4, I don't think there's any
chance we're going to reverse the decision at this point.)

> I want to build qpopper with kerberos. Qpopper requires "libkrb5util"
> library. What do i need to do to get this library? Or Is there any
> other way to build qpopper with kerberos?

Try linking the program without -lkrb5util.

If you're using krb4 authentication (which has some security problems,
but then again, the Kerberos POP extension is basically "here's an
authenticator, now send me everything in cleartext with no protection",
so who are we kidding anyways), and if the compat recvauth function is
causing link failures, you should be able to edit the source to call
krb_recvauth instead, with the right subset of the arguments.  Or,
worst case, you could try grabbing src/appl/bsd/compat_recv.c and add
it into the qpopper code.

Ken