GSSException: Failure unspecified at GSS-API level (Mechanism level: Could not use DES Cipher - Output buffer must be (at least) 16 bytes long)

hunterae hunterae at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 15:28:57 EDT 2005

I am having a problem that may seem to indicate an issue between java
1.4 and 1.5 communication. I am using the GSS-API as a means of
communication between a client and server application. The server
performs all of its encryption as a Kerberos principal service. The
client logins into Kerberos as a standard Kerberos user and initializes
a SecurityContext with the server's Kerberos principal service. All
messages passed back and forth between the client and server are then
encrypted using wrap and unwrap. This all works fine if both the client
and server are run using java 1.4 or 1.5. However if one is java 1.4
and one is java 1.5, I get the above exception. I need to get around
this in some way as I will not be sure which version of java the
various clients will be using. Any ideas what may be causing this and
how to fix it?