timezone changes

Ezra Peisach epeisach at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 4 06:51:03 EST 2005

>I wanted to change the timezone according to some input parameter and
>hence have changed the time with which the AS-REQ is sent.
>server is returning a KRB5KRB_AP_ERR_SKEW

Well - of course it is...

The time that is sent over the network in ther kerberos requests is in
UTC (similar to GMT). Timezones are just a convenience to the end user -
but all computers are operating off the same timebase...

When you started mucking with the krb5_timeofday on a client - the
request that was sent to the server is totally out of wack with regards
to what it considers reality...

There are two possibilities - either the kdc is complaining because you
are using the timestamp preauth - and your time is completly out of
wack, or the server is handling your request - and you think the server
has send you back bad data - with the time being off by more than 5 minutes.

Now you mentioned AS-REQ... What time are you using for your TGS?
Essentially - you are making a mess of things when you start playing
with timezones...