krb5kdc error - unable to bind server to port 88

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Wed May 19 17:40:44 EDT 2004

On May 19, 2004, at 09:25, mdj_kerberos wrote:
> May 19 18:04:23  krb5kdc[29636](info): setting up network...
> krb5kdc: Permission denied - Cannot bind server socket to port 88
> address 15.76.125.61
> May 19 18:04:23  krb5kdc[29636](info): set up 0 sockets
> krb5kdc: no sockets set up?
>
> is this bcoz of i don't have root permission?

Yes, if you want to run the server as a non-root user, you need to
change the port number in both the clients' and KDC's configurations.

> I tried the above procedure as "root"
> and if /sbin/kdb_util create -s
>
> it takes the default path /var/local/...
> which i don't want . How to avoid this?

All paths should be relative to the paths you gave to the configure
script.

Could you perhaps have configured and built with a different prefix,
and then reconfigured in the same build tree to use your home
directory?  There are probably places where the change in configuration
won't be noticed by the dependencies in our makefiles.

Also double-check your KDC config file to make sure you didn't
accidentally tell it to use /var for some stuff.