krb5kdc error - unable to bind server to port 88

mdj_kerberos mdj_frend at yahoo.com
Wed May 19 09:25:32 EDT 2004

hi all,

  I am trying to install kerberos KDC, app server and client on a
single linux machine.

I am trying to install as a normal user rather than root in my /home
directory.

Commands given:
./configure --prefix=/home/myname/dir
--localstatedir=/home/myname/dir/var

( before giving this , i have created var directory and krb5kdc under
var )

I have put kdc.conf in /home/myname/dir/var/krb5kdc/
and krb5.conf in /etc

Now ,
i do -->  make ;make check

and also
 --> make install

everything is fine :)

then,
 >> cd /home/myname/dir/sbin
 >> kdb5_util create -s
all the 5 files are created under /home/myname/dir/var/krb5kdc/
principal...principal.ok etc :)

 >> kadmin.local

created myname/admin using addprinc

 >> krb5kdc
it doesn't give any error

 >> cd ..
 >> cd bin
 >> kinit myname/admin
kinit(v5): Cannot contact any KDC for requested realm while getting
initial credentials

  error :(
>> now if i open the log file,

 vi krb5kdc.conf :

May 19 18:04:23  krb5kdc[29636](info): setting up network...
krb5kdc: Permission denied - Cannot bind server socket to port 88
address 15.76.125.61
May 19 18:04:23  krb5kdc[29636](info): set up 0 sockets
krb5kdc: no sockets set up?

is this bcoz of i don't have root permission?

I tried the above procedure as "root"
and if /sbin/kdb_util create -s

it takes the default path /var/local/...
which i don't want . How to avoid this?

thank you in advance