want kerberos 1.3.x for Solaris

Wyllys Ingersoll wyllys.ingersoll at sun.com
Tue Jun 29 16:49:19 EDT 2004

Dirk Pape wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Solaris 9 comes with MIT-kerberos 1.2.5 integrated into the system. For
>authentication against Windows AD we need a kerberos version > 1.3.

As was already pointed out, the Kerberos bundled with Solaris 9
is based on MIT 1.2.1

>Is there any package which can replace the solaris kerberos with a 1.3
>based version, without relinking all clients shipped with solaris that
>use kerberos?

No, but you can install MIT Kerberos and use the binaries that come with
it and change your PATH variable so that the MIT binaries are
found first.

>Does anyone know, if solaris 10 will have an 1.3 based kerberos
>integrated?

Solaris 10 has many features from MIT 1.3.X - AES, 3DES, and RC4 crypto,
TCP support, IPv6 support, and more (integrated Kerberos in bundled
remote apps - rlogin, telnet, ftp, rcp, rsh, rdist, ssh, SASL/GSSAPI,
SPNEGO, ...).

You can try Solaris 10 today as part of the Solaris Express program and
see for yourself.

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/solaris-express/get.html

-Wyllys