Migrating database between architectures: "Stored master key is corrupted"

Tillman Hodgson tillman at seekingfire.com
Thu Aug 26 18:53:28 EDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 03:44:30PM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 04:34:00PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> > If not, you can swap around the bytes of the key length in your
> > favorite binary file editor.
>
> For anyone else digging through the archives (Hello groups.google.com!),
> it's bytes 3 through 6. Change CDAB to ABCD (metaphorically speaking)
> using something like `vim -b`. Additionally, I had to swap bytes 1 and
> 2 (the keytype). More details in src/lib/kdb/fetch_mkey.c.
>
> I haven't done any real testing of it, but krb5kdc starts without errors
> now.

However, kadmind doesn't seem to want to start. The log file contains
only:

 Aug 26 16:32:34 surya.seekingfire.prv kadmind[6458](info): Seeding random number generator

I never get a line like the following from the original KDC:

 Aug 19 22:26:17 pluto.seekingfire.prv kadmind[138](info): starting

And the RCng script just seems to hang with:

 # /etc/rc.d/mit-kadmin start
 Starting kadmind.

kadmind is running, but not consuming any real CPU time:

 root 14031  0.0  1.0   96  1240 p0 I+    4:37PM  0:00.14 /usr/pkg/sbin/kadmind

While it's running, it doesn't appear to be finished it's startup. If I
kadmin to it I get:

 kadmin: Communication failure with server while initializing kadmin interface

Google is failing me for this. Where should I be looking for this sort
of problem?

Thanks,

-T