Migrating database between architectures: "Stored master key is corrupted"

Tillman Hodgson tillman at seekingfire.com
Thu Aug 26 17:44:30 EDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 04:34:00PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> The stash file is byte order dependent.  This is painfully stupid, but
> none the less true.

At least it's fairly obvious -- my first guess as to the cause was
actually right ;-)

> If you know your master passwerd you can run kdb5_util stash again.

Hmmm. That solves the problem for /one/ of the realms ...

> If not, you can swap around the bytes of the key length in your
> favorite binary file editor.

For anyone else digging through the archives (Hello groups.google.com!),
it's bytes 3 through 6. Change CDAB to ABCD (metaphorically speaking)
using something like `vim -b`. Additionally, I had to swap bytes 1 and
2 (the keytype). More details in src/lib/kdb/fetch_mkey.c.

I haven't done any real testing of it, but krb5kdc starts without errors
now.

Thanks,

-T

--
When you ask a question, do you truly want to know the answer, or are you
merely flaunting your power?