Is it possible to extract the key without changing the password?

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 27 16:51:29 EDT 2004

    denis> I'm doing some testing using my personal account, and need
    denis> a key in a keytab for a script. At a same time it would be
    denis> convenient if I could continue doing kinit with my usual
    denis> password. :-)

    denis> Is it possible to do that, or do I have to live with the
    denis> fact that extracting a key to a keytab == password change?

The ktutil program includes an add command which takes a password (and
assumes the default salt) and adds it to a keytab.