Double log messages under RH8

Mike Dopheide dopheide at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 14 22:24:41 EDT 2003

Problem solved, with slight concern.

Apparently, the kerberos daemons read both /etc/krb5.conf and
/usr/local/krb5/etc/krb5.conf.  I always assumed one would take precedence
over the other.  On our KDC, /etc/krb5.conf was a link to
/usr/local/krb5/etc/krb5.conf.  After making /etc/krb5.conf a real file
and removing /usr/local/krb5/etc/krb5.conf, we are now getting the
correct logs (instead of doubled).

I'm not extremely familiar with the kerberos source tree yet, but it seems
that profile_init (util/profile/prof_init.c) reads through every krb5.conf
file in the DEFAULT_PROFILE_PATH (include/krb5/stock/osconf.h).  What
bothers me is that seeing the same [logging] section twice caused kerberos
to log twice instead of overriding the settings it read from the first
file.  How can the default logging mechanism be set twice?  Why is this
even possible?  What other problems could be caused by dual krb5.conf
files?

-Mike