Key table entry not found

CJ Keist cjay at engr.colostate.edu
Thu Aug 14 12:36:26 EDT 2003

Hello,
     I'm setting up a test KDC running on Solaris 9.  The version I'm
running is 5.1.3.1.  I have successfully installed and setup my KDC
server.  I have tested it out on RH9 and everything is working there,
as in being authenticated and such.  I'm now trying to get kerberos
authentication to work on another Solaris 9 box.  But am running into
problems.
On the Solaris 9 box I have modified the pam.conf file to kerberos,
copied the krb5.conf file from my kdc and ran kadmin as follows

kadmin - admin/admin
     : ktadd host/machine_name.domain
     : quit

When I tried to telnet into the system I got denied, the message in
/var/adm/messages on the client box said something about "Bad
encryption type".  I found on the web to do ktadd the following:

kadmin -p admin/admin
     : ktremove host/machine_name.domain
     : ktadd -e des-cbc-crc:normal host/machine_name.domain
     : quit

This got rid of the "Bad encryption type" error, but I am now getting
the following error in the messages file:
  "Key table entry not found".   I don't know if this is saying that its
not finding the machine keytab or my UID on the KDC server?  Does
anyone have any help here?

Thanks...

C. J. Keist                     Email: cj.keist at engr.colostate.edu
UNIX/Network Manager            Phone: 970-491-0630
Engineering Network Services    Fax:   970-491-5569
College of Engineering, CSU
Ft. Collins, CO 80523-1301

All I want is a chance to prove 'Money can't buy happiness'"