Key table entry not found

Wyllys Ingersoll wyllys.ingersoll at sun.com
Thu Aug 14 16:50:25 EDT 2003

Im not sure what you mean when you say you are running "version 5.1.3.1".

Are you running the Kerberos code that comes installed with Solaris 9
by default or did you put MIT kerberos on top of a Solaris 9 system
and are trying to use MIT Kerberos instead?

Whose pam_krb5 module are you using - Sun's or an open source version?

You *can* put MIT KRB5 on a Solaris 9 system (though the Kerberos that
comes with S9 is fully compatible with MIT KRB5 and in most cases you
shouldn't need to install MIT), but you must make sure your $PATH variable
is configured so that the MIT binaries are used before the Solaris
binaries.

Example: /usr/local/bin/kinit must be found before /usr/bin/kinit in
order to use the 3rd party version.

The Solaris Kerberos code expects the various Kerberos config files
and keytab files to be kept in /etc/krb5/ instead of just in /etc
which is where MIT expects to find them.  Try creating softlinks
from the /etc directory to the various files in /etc/krb5 if you
are using MIT kerberos.

ln -s /etc/krb5/krb5.keytab /etc/krb5.keytab
ln -s /etc/krb5/krb5.conf /etc/krb5.conf

One other suggestion would be to remove the MIT installation from the
Solaris 9 systems and use the supported Solaris Kerberos stuff, it
will eliminate alot of confusion and mismatches like you are seeing.

-Wyllys