need advice with kerberos and nfs

Jason Garman jgarman at wedgie.org
Mon Sep 2 20:27:06 EDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 09:51:50AM +0200, Dirk Pape wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we try to move our whole heterogenious LAN towards kerberos
> authentication. The main component will be our central fileservice which
> has to serve Solaris 8, Solaris 9, Debian Linux, Mac OS X and Windows
> 2000 clients.

Have you considered OpenAFS?  It's the Transarc AFS enterprise file
system, released to Open Source about a year ago, that uses Kerberos
authentication.  It works on all of the platforms you've mentioned.

It has a rather large learning curve but has many advantages over NFS. The
web site is www.openafs.org.

Enjoy
Jason Garman / jgarman at wedgie.org