problems compiling krb5.1.2 on solaris 8

Marcus Watts mdw at umich.edu
Thu May 23 18:35:41 EDT 2002

zrnaqvi at yahoo.com writes:
> Marcus thanks for your help. I tried the first option "touch
> config.h.in" it did some progress but now I am stuck at the following.
>
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal Error: command failed for target 'check-recurse'
> Current working directory /opt/kerberos/krb5/src/lib/crypto/crc32
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal Error: command failed for target 'check-recurse'
> Current working directory /opt/kerberos/krb5/src/lib/crypto
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal Error: command failed for target 'check-recurse'
> Current working directory /opt/kerberos/krb5/src/lib/
>
> Any ideas on this one.

check-recurse is a target in lib/crypto/Makefile (and others)
that is supposed to run through some list of sub-directories
(probably the value of LOCAL_SUBDIRS in that same makefile,
probably starts off with
	crc32 des dk enc_provider has_provider
and ends with something like
	raw sha1
and recursively invokes make on each.  The actual logic is a hairy
one-liner shell script at the end (split up onto 24 actual lines)
that's supposed to rerun make in the various subdirectories.
There's probably something about this that isn't quite as portable
as it ought to be.

At a shear guess, you're using the solaris 8 native "make",
/usr/ccs/bin/make.  I don't have your exact configuration, but I find
that solaris 2.6 "make" dies just as badly when run on an old copy of
k5 that I have sitting around.

Try another version of make.  I normally use a bsd derived make (from
4.4bsd, freebsd, openbsd, netbsd, etc.).  I have also had good luck
using gnu make (sometimes installed as "gmake").  Gnu make is pretty
popular, so is probably a good default to use when building most open
source code when there's any question of make weirdness.  The MIT folks
only claim make has to support "VPATH".  Perhaps they should probably be
more explicit on platform specific weirdnesses like this.  They do,
however, recommend gnu make when talking about VPATH, and it seems
likely that's what they use internally.

				-Marcus Watts
				UM ITCS Umich Systems Group