problems compiling krb5.1.2 on solaris 8

Tom Yu tlyu at MIT.EDU
Thu May 23 19:27:49 EDT 2002

mdw> zrnaqvi at yahoo.com writes:
>> Marcus thanks for your help. I tried the first option "touch
>> config.h.in" it did some progress but now I am stuck at the following.

[...]

>> *** Error code 1
>> make: Fatal Error: command failed for target 'check-recurse'
>> Current working directory /opt/kerberos/krb5/src/lib/

"check-recurse" should not be getting run for a normal "make"
invocation; it will only show up if you explicitly run "make check.
The recursion target that you should be seeing would be "all-recurse".

Also, you should *never* be seeing autoheader or autoconf getting
invoked by make if you're working with a pristine source tree.  What
sources are you using, and where did you get them from?

mdw> At a shear guess, you're using the solaris 8 native "make",
mdw> /usr/ccs/bin/make.  I don't have your exact configuration, but I
mdw> find that solaris 2.6 "make" dies just as badly when run on an
mdw> old copy of k5 that I have sitting around.

/usr/ccs/bin/make works just fine for me on Solaris 8 when compiling
krb5-1.2.5.

mdw> Try another version of make.  I normally use a bsd derived make
mdw> (from 4.4bsd, freebsd, openbsd, netbsd, etc.).  I have also had
mdw> good luck using gnu make (sometimes installed as "gmake").  Gnu
mdw> make is pretty popular, so is probably a good default to use when
mdw> building most open source code when there's any question of make
mdw> weirdness.  The MIT folks only claim make has to support "VPATH".
mdw> Perhaps they should probably be more explicit on platform
mdw> specific weirdnesses like this.  They do, however, recommend gnu
mdw> make when talking about VPATH, and it seems likely that's what
mdw> they use internally.

We do use gnu make internally, but there should be no problem with
building kerberos using a vendor make as long as you're building in
the source tree or in a symlink tree.  The "offset build" procedure,
i.e. starting a build in an empty directory in which you invoke
"configure" via a relative or a absolute path, is only really likely
to work under gnu make.

---Tom