Newbe with SOAP question

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 3 12:23:14 EDT 2002

    Ben> Hi from a Newbe,

    Ben> I am interested in the Kerberos protocol for use with SOAP.
    Ben> Not using Kerberos as-is, but using the protocol inside SOAP
    Ben> messages.

    Ben> Therefore sending a SOAP message to a 'AS' server behind a
    Ben> SOAP server, and getting the encrypted Ticket returned in
    Ben> another SOAP message, as the SOAP Body in Base64.

Seems like a lot of wasted effort to do this; you cannot reuse
existing Kerberos code bases, you get to repeat most of the protocol
design mistakes of the last 10 years, etc.

I'd recommend that you just use Kerberos if you don't have any
annoying firewall constraints or that you do something that wraps
unmodified Kerberos exchanges if you cannot rely on IP connectivity.