Newbe with SOAP question

Ben Clewett ben at clewett.org.uk
Wed Jul 3 15:09:26 EDT 2002

<Sam>

>    Ben> Hi from a Newbe,
>
>    Ben> I am interested in the Kerberos protocol for use with SOAP.
>    Ben> Not using Kerberos as-is, but using the protocol inside SOAP
>    Ben> messages.
>
>    Ben> Therefore sending a SOAP message to a 'AS' server behind a
>    Ben> SOAP server, and getting the encrypted Ticket returned in
>    Ben> another SOAP message, as the SOAP Body in Base64.
>
>Seems like a lot of wasted effort to do this; you cannot reuse
>existing Kerberos code bases, you get to repeat most of the protocol
>design mistakes of the last 10 years, etc.
>
>I'd recommend that you just use Kerberos if you don't have any
>annoying firewall constraints or that you do something that wraps
>unmodified Kerberos exchanges if you cannot rely on IP connectivity.

</Sam>

Sam,

I totally agree, a complete waist of time.  Unfortunatelly I have no
choice.  Well, little choice.

I am behind firewalls and proxy.  I am doing EDI, which will involce
three layes of firewalls/proxy.  (Customer, ISP, Us.)  I can only really
on http, https, ftp etc.

I can use https.  This however involves purchacing a certificate
anually, and does not give authentication.  Although this does allow
encrypted plane-text authentication.  It also requires a rather complex
cleint.  With http, I can almost pipe data through telnet, a significant
advantage for where I'm going.

For this reason, I was thinking about putting a Kerbose client/server of
the simplest design possible either side of the termiating SOAP layers.
This would give me security and authentication, which is all I need.  I
notice that XML has a nice Base64 data type, ideal for carrying
encrypted data within a <Body> with an xmlns:Kerberos....

I was also thinking, maybe unrealistically, that I can't be the only
person in this situation, and producing a Kerberos extension to a SOAP
Client/server might be received quite well on the Internet.

Thanks for your reply,

Ben Clewett.

</Sam>