Solaris 8 and multi threaded programs

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 1 13:16:38 EDT 2002

Glenn Case <caseg at yahoo.com> writes:
> I am attempting to set up a complex environment where
> the kerberos library will be used in a multi threaded
> application. I was wondering if any one had done any
> testing of the kerberos libraries in this sort of
> environment ?

We haven't at MIT, but we already know the code is not thread-safe at
the moment.  While we intend eventually for it to be thread-safe so
long as a given krb5_context is only used in one thread at a time, the
current libraries contain some static data shared across all contexts
and modified at run-time.  There's also some file locking, which is
per-process and not per-thread.  And we call a bunch of C library
routines that are not thread-safe.

We've had some discussions about adding hooks for the necessary
locking primitives, and some folks at IBM are looking into
implementing them, but we don't expect the code to be available for a
little while yet.

Ken