Cannot resolve network address for KDC...

JJSoon sn6130 at albany.edu
Fri Aug 23 10:27:36 EDT 2002

You are right, that was not a very detailed message -- but I did fool
around enough and get Kerberos up and running but some of the stuff I
does not make much sense to me whatsoever:

krb5.conf:
-- cut --
[libdefaults]
 ticket_lifetime = 24000
 default_realm = JJSOON.DOMAIN.COM
 dns_lookup_realm = false
 dns_lookup_kdc = false

[realms]
 JJSOON.DOMAIN.COM = {
  kdc = localhost
  admin_server = kerberos.jjsoon.domain.com:749
  default_domain = jjsoon.domain.com
 }

[domain_realm]
 .jjsoon.domain.com = JJSOON.DOMAIN.COM
 jjsoon.domain.com = JJSOON.DOMAIN.COM

-- cut --

The realms section of the conf doesn't make much sense to me. Because
why wouldn't I be able to just put localhost one both lines or
"kerberos.jjsoon.domain.com" on both -- why does it have to be in this
order.

I did try putting localhost in both but kadmin gave the following
error message:
  Bad krb5 admin server hostname while initializing kadmin interface

Then I tried putting kerberos.jjsoon.domain.com in both locations,
krb5kdc then could not resolve the KDC address. Go figure!

/etc/hosts:
9.xxx.xxx.xxx   localhost.localdomain   localhost
9.xxx.xxx.xxx   kerberos.jjsoon.domain.com loopback localhost

Instead of using 127.0.0.1 I used the actual IP addreses.

Questions:
What's deal with my realm definition, why is it working that way?
Can this be done any neater because it looks like a confusing mess, I
feel bad for next guy that might have to muck around with this?

Good News:
It is running seems to be doing it job.

Thanks for help...

JJsoon