Cannot resolve network address for KDC...

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 22 16:59:20 EDT 2002

    -krb5.conf seems to conf'd correctly
    -I've added kerberos.my.host to /etc/host mapping it to localhost
    -Adding principals correctly

    So why am I getting this message?

We don't assume "kerberos.realmname" is going to be your KDC.  You
need DNS SRV records for _kerberos._udp.realmname, or your krb5.conf
needs "kdc =" lines.  Did you add those?  (You say krb5.conf seems to
be configured okay, but it would help if you show us the relevant
parts so we can confirm it or help you correct it.)  If you're only
setting it up on the local machine, you don't need to invent new
hostnames.

Other things to check for:
 - you did mean "/etc/hosts" above, not "/etc/host", right?
 - realm names are case sensitive, make sure the capitalization is
   consistent between the [realms] entry and default_realm in
   krb5.conf.

    Is it ok to have my default_realm = my hostname? Because quite
    honestly I do not what else could be wrong.

Using your own hostname is fine.  Using localhost and the address
127.0.0.1 may cause some problems, but if you always get address-less
tickets (kinit -A) I think you should be okay in most cases.  If your
machine has a permanent address, using it would be better.

    Has anyone been able to resolve this problem -- if so can you please
    show me the light?

Trying, but unless you provide more information, we can only make
guesses....

Ken