concurrent access to ticket file

Thomas Huang Thomas.Huang at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 22 19:43:19 EDT 2002

Hi,

I have a question regarding concurrent access to kerberos ticket
file.  I have a cron job that refreshes my kerberos ticket using a
hidden keytab file on a regular basis.  I also have a kerberorized
client application that uses that ticket to communicate with my
kerberorized server.  I believed in kerberos 4 there is not file lock
on the ticket file while it is being refreshed, and this caused all
sorts of problems to my kerberosrized server when passing the
corrupted ticket to the kerberos API for authentication which
generally resulted in memory leaks.  I am wondering if the same
problem still exist with kerberos 5.

My second question has to do with Rational Purify.  I see that each
call to krb5_rd_req() produced UMR (Uninitialized memory read)
warning/error.  However, all parameters that is being passed to the
function has been initialized in my application.  Has anyone
encountered the similar error with Purify?  Any work around?

thanks,

Thomas.