[ietf-enroll] Some thoughts on ENROLL's direction

Max Pritikin pritikin at cisco.com
Wed Apr 21 15:51:04 EDT 2004

Agreed,

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 12:11, Paul Hoffman / VPNC wrote:
> At 11:17 AM -0700 4/21/04, Max Pritikin wrote:
> >Although of course we have to accept that in some deployments (small
> >scale for example) people may find entering (or verifying) the data
> >manually is a useful case. Thus we shouldn't completely ignore it.
>
> Wearing my co-chair hat, I would say we should not ignore it at all.
> It is OK if we do a worse job in cases where the identifier is
> human-readable, but I think we will have missed the spirit of the
> charter if we have no cases where a human can enter the identifier in
> some UI such as a keyboard, a touch-tone pad, or verbally.

I shouldn't have used the word "completely".

What I mean is that the interaction with the user is external to the
basic introduction/enrollment components. I believe that if we do our
job correctly we'll be able to identify clearly where/when a human
enters this information without making any requirements about the actual
protocol or field types.

Thus requirements for humans to be able to enter OOB identifier
information exist but not enforced/required.

	- max