[galib] Re: new questions

matthew wall mwall at oculustech.com
Wed Jan 26 11:48:44 EST 2005

On 25 Jan 2005, at 11:12, nikos loukeris wrote:

> I spend all my day yesterday reading Bjarnes Stroustrup C++ book and
> trying to implement the intstructions. I downloaded galib246pre2.tgz
> but I must let you know that I am working on win98 OS. Is
> galib246pre2.tgz for windows or for unix, linux? (I think it is for
> linux, right?)

galib246pre2.tgz is for all platforms.  when i release 2.4.6
officially, i will put a .zip and a .tgz file on the web site.  but
they contain exactly the same files.

> An other guy replied me and suggested me to use galib245.zip because
> "246 is a beta" what does that means? I am confused! He also suggested
> me to use the .lib file from a web domain, which I downloaded.

it is pre-release code.  it has changes that fix a couple of bugs in
2.4.5 and that make galib compile better with new compilers.

> I tryied to build galib from the command line, using the resulting
> library file for galib246pre2 with the commands:
> C:\ga\galib246pre2-tgz\galib246pre2>nmake /f makefile.vcpp
>
> and I receive: Error command or file name (Εσφαλμένη εντολή ή όνομα
> αρχείου- in greek). I suppose my win98 cannot recognize the command
> make

nmake is the microsoft version of make.  if you have installed visual
studio, then you have nmake.  you might have to run VCVARS32.BAT before
nmake will be in your path.