[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] Questions about salinity budget using ECCO near real-time data (dr080)

Wang, Ou (US 329B) ou.wang at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Nov 11 20:53:23 EST 2021

Hi Zongheng,

The gsExtave field (in psu s^-1) is salinity tendency due to evaporation minus precipitation. To convert gsExtave to virtual salt flux in psu m s^-1, use the follow equation
Virtual salt flux (in psu m s^-1) =  gsExtave  * 10
where 10 is the thickness of the first model layer in meters.

To convert gsExtave to freshwater flux in m s^-1, use
Freshwater flux (m s^-1) = -gsExtave  * 10 / 35
where 10 again is the thickness of the first model layer in meters and 35 (psu) is the reference salinity.

The magnitude of freshwater flux converted from gsExtave using the equation above is in the order of 1e-7 m s^-1, which seems right.

I will make the advection tendencies in gradient form available in a couple of weeks.

Best,
Ou