[ecco-support] Questions about salinity budget using ECCO near real-time data (dr080)

lzh6939@stu.ouc.edu.cn lzh6939 at stu.ouc.edu.cn
Wed Nov 10 22:41:33 EST 2021

Dear ECCO team,

I am attempting to use ECCO near real-time data (dr080) to study salinity budget. However, there are some problems in calculation:

1. I try to use the sum of gsExtave and gsRelaxave to represent the surface forcing [(E-P)·S / h], but the result is obviously larger than that calculated from the observations. Could you please show me how to calculate the surface forcing?

2. I find in the Readme file that the advection tendencies in gradient form (udS/dx) can be obtained in a separate directory (NON_MOTO), but I didn't find this directory. Can you tell me how to obtain the advection tendencies in gradient form?

Thank you for your kind consideration of this request. Looking forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Zongheng Li