[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] Stokes drift in ECCO2 product

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at ucsd.edu
Sat Mar 13 12:30:30 EST 2021

Yes, we are currently evaluating the implementation of stokes velocity in the MITgcm. Rui Sun here at SIO is leading the work.
As Dimitris says, it is not currently included in the ECCO products, though it is possible the adjusted wind stresses and mixing coefficients that ECCO uses to optimize the ocean solution do represent some of these physics.

In direct response to your question, yes, it does make sense for you to add the Stokes velocity. This may give you a more accurate surface velocity. It will, however, break the momentum budget.

Matt