[ecco-support] Calculation of ice-ocean freshwater flux from ECCO v4r4

Alexander Haumann haumann at princeton.edu
Wed Mar 17 06:21:43 EDT 2021

Dear ECCO support,

I am trying to estimate the different components of the surface
freshwater flux balance from ECCO v4r4 and I am wondering if you could
maybe help me with clarifying some issues that I have.

A colleague of mine estimated the total surface salt flux variations
from SFLUX and I am trying to explain its variability from the different
components of the surface freshwater fluxes. However, the sum of the
ocean freshwater fluxes does not match the interannual variability in
the salt flux. My main problems are (1) that I am not quite sure which
freshwater flux is being used to obtain SFLUX and would be the
equivalent and (2) how to estimate the sea-ice--ocean flux component.

In terms of (1) there are three variables in the documentation that are
referred to as total ocean freshwater flux: oceFWflx, EXFempmr, SIempmr.
Which one should I use to match SFLUX? How is SFLUX in the model being
calculated from the surface freshwater flux? SIempmr seems to be missing
from the output files (nctiles_monthly) on the ECCO Drive in v4r4.

In terms of (2), a colleague of mine recommended me to calculate the
sea-ice--ocean flux as  -SIempmr- (SIatmFW-SIsnPrcp). However, for this
calculation I would missing the SIempmr from the output. Would that in
principal be correct? I have tried to calculate it as oceFWflx-SIatmFW,
which looks reasonable in terms of spatial pattern but the variability
does not match the SFLUX variability. So, I am skeptical that this is
the correct approach.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Best wishes,
Alex

--

Dr. F. Alexander Haumann, Associate Research Scholar
Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, *Princeton University*