[ecco-support] ECCO bottom temperature bias in the Weddell Sea

Shanice T Bailey stb2145 at columbia.edu
Fri Jun 12 23:45:28 EDT 2020

Hi ECCO Consortium,

My name is Shanice Bailey. I am an Earth & Environmental Science graduate
student at Columbia University advised by Ryan Abernathey. I've compared
averaged bottom temperatures within the Weddell Sea region from ECCO's
dataset, as well as from the World Ocean Atlas 2018 datasets for two
separate time periods (1981-2010 and 2005-2017). Below I have attached a
figure of ECCO and WOA's bottom temperature spatial distribution as well as
their difference. From the figure you can see that ECCO is overall warmer
than the observational dataset. I am emailing to ask if you may know the
reason why ECCO is representing a 0.5-2˚C warmer temperature bias. I still
consider myself a novice user of ECCO so I was hoping you may shed some
light on this. I would appreciate any insight, and thank you for your time.

Best,

Shanice T. Bailey