[ecco-support] Change-of-variable formulas for adjoint sensitivities

Paola Cessi pcessi at ucsd.edu
Mon Jul 6 21:16:03 EDT 2020

Hi Christopher,

I don’t think it is possible. You need to know the derivative of the cost of function wrt to the derivatives of the wind-stress (or the curl), and it is not possible to get those from the cost function derivatives wrt to wind-stress alone. For example, in the shallow water case, you only need to know the momentum eqns. to get the sensitivity to the wind stress, but for the sensitivity of the curl, you need to massage the mom. eqns. AND add the continuity.

Sorry,

Paola

Paola Cessi                                                         Tel: +1 858 534 0622
Scripps Institution of Oceanography                  Fax: +1 858 534 8045
9500 Gilman Drive #0213                             e-mail: pcessi at ucsd.edu
La Jolla, CA 92093-0213          Web: http://pordlabs.ucsd.edu/~pcessi
USA

Delivery address (Fed-Ex, DHL, UPS, etc.):
University of California San Diego
Keck Center - Room 366
8851 Shellback Way
La Jolla, CA 92093-0213, USA