[ecco-support] Change-of-variable formulas for adjoint sensitivities

Christopher Wolfe christopher.wolfe at stonybrook.edu
Mon Jul 6 18:20:20 EDT 2020

Hi all:

Does any know of a simple formula (or reference) for a changing the dependent variables of adjoint sensitivities? For example, suppose you have the sensitivities of a cost function, J, to zonal and meridional wind stress. Is there a straightforward way to use these to calculate the sensitivity of J to the wind stress curl? I figured that there ought to be, but I got buried under a mountain of functional analysis and worried I was overthinking it.

Not sure if this is the right forum. If not, I’m happy to ask the wider MITgcm-support list.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Cheers,
Christopher

Christopher L. Pitt Wolfe
Associate Professor (Physical Oceanography)
School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences
Stony Brook University
christopher.wolfe at stonybrook.edu             631-632-3152