[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] Request for time series of ECCOv4-r3 adjustments

Fenty, Ian G (US 329C) ian.fenty at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 30 14:32:39 EDT 2019

Hi Dan,

It is a good suggestion that we provide the time-varying control variable adjustments.  In v4r3 and the soon-to-be-released v4r4 the time-varying control variables are for the atmospheric state: air temperature, precipitation, short- and long-wave downwelling radiation, specific humidity, and zonal and meridional wind stress.

We can provide these time-varying atmospheric state adjustments.  As you probably know, the atmospheric state is adjusted every time step (dt=1 hour) but the atmospheric control vector is defined in 14 day increments.  Every time step the atmosphere state adjustments are calculated by linearly interpolating in time between the 14 days controls.  We could provide the atmospheric adjustments as every 14 days or shorter periods (e.g., daily), so long as it is clear that shorter period increments are linear combinations of the 14 day increments.

Ian

On 10/30/19, 5:03 AM, "ecco-support-bounces at mit.edu<mailto:ecco-support-bounces at mit.edu> on behalf of Dan Jones" <ecco-support-bounces at mit.edu<mailto:ecco-support-bounces at mit.edu> on behalf of dcjones.work at gmail.com<mailto:dcjones.work at gmail.com>> wrote:

Hello,

In ECCOv4-r2, one can study the time-varying adjustments to the control variables made during the state estimation process by examining the "xx_" files. However, in ECCOv4-r3, this is not possible.

Is there a reasonably efficient way to see the time-varying adjustments to the control variables in ECCOv4-r3? I once found a PDF document with the means and standard deviations of the adjustments, but I am interested in the long-term adjustment trends.

Many thanks,
Dan

Dr Dan Jones / British Antarctic Survey
danjonesocean.com<http://www.danjonesocean.com> / @DanJonesOcean