[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] questions on ECCO Version 4 Python Tutorial

Fenty, Ian G (329C) ian.fenty at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jul 15 20:27:25 EDT 2019

Dear Shengzhe,

You are correct that currently the version of the netcdf files on the main ftp site is different than those used in the tutorial.

Please go to ftp://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/Version4/Release3_alt/  to find a newer version of the ECCO netcdf files that should be compatible with the tutorials.

Let us know if those don’t work!

Best,
Ian

On 7/15/19, 7:09 AM, "ecco-support-bounces at mit.edu<mailto:ecco-support-bounces at mit.edu> on behalf of Chen, Shengzhe" <ecco-support-bounces at mit.edu<mailto:ecco-support-bounces at mit.edu> on behalf of schen26 at albany.edu<mailto:schen26 at albany.edu>> wrote:

Hi there,

I am a graduate student studying atmospheric sciences at State University of New York at Albany.

I am learning the ECCO Version 4 Python Tutorial on https://ecco-v4-python-tutorial.readthedocs.io/

I noticed that it seems like there are quite a lot of differences between data now available on ftp://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/Version4/Release3/ and the data used as an example in the tutorial. For example, it is impossible now to xarry.merge ADVx_TH and ADVy_TH now directly. Because in the tutorial, their horizontal coordinates are denoted as

ADVx_TH  (time, tile, k, j, i_g)

ADVy_TH  (time, tile, k, j_g, i)

However, for the data available now on ftp://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/Version4/Release3/. they are all denoted as

some thing like i1, i2, i3, i4.

I am wondering, if there's any updated version of tutorial that I could use to reproduce the results shown

in the tutorial? Or if those old data used in the tutorial still available?

Best,

Shengzhe
Welcome to the ECCO Version 4 Tutorial — ECCO Version 4 Python Tutorial 1.0 documentation<https://ecco-v4-python-tutorial.readthedocs.io/>
ecco-v4-python-tutorial.readthedocs.io
Welcome to the ECCO Version 4 Tutorial¶. This website contains a set of tutorials about how to use the ECCO Central Production Version 4 (ECCO v4) global ocean and sea-ice state estimate.