[ecco-support] Artifacts in global meridional overturning circulation

Tatsu Monkman tdmonkman at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 19 13:47:26 EST 2018

Hello,

I'm a current graduate student at the University of Chicago working with
the latest ECCO v4r3 data output and am having some issues. When I do a
global integration of NVELMASS tiles multiplied by DRF and DXG and then
integrate by depth from the surface I see bright bands developing at
several latitudes. This could be a simple calculation mistake on my end and
I was wondering if this has been seen before and if there is a known
solution. I suspect this may have to do with tiles near land-sea
boundaries, but I assumed that NVELMASS was weighted for that, and have
tried NVEL multiplied by hFacS with similar results. I am performing all of
these calculations on NVEL and GRID data arrays extracted from Version4
Release3 on ftp://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/ . I've attached a plot of my output
for reference.

I am running ecco through the python 2.7 on OS Mojave 10.14.1

Thanks!
-Tatsu Monkman
University of Chicago