[ecco-support] Artifacts in global meridional overturning circulation

Wang, Ou (329B) Ou.Wang at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Nov 19 14:30:33 EST 2018

Hello Tatsu,

NVELMASS and EVELMASS are not native model velocities and thus may not be suitable for studying integrated quantities or doing budget analysis. They are the northward and eastward geometry-weighted velocities that are converted from native model variables UVELMASS and VVELMASS; the latter two should be used instead to compute the meridional transport. The Matlab toolbox gcmfaces https://gcmfaces.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ has a built-in script to compute the meridional transport using UVELMASS and VVELMASS. The particular Matlab script is https://github.com/gaelforget/gcmfaces/blob/master/gcmfaces_calc/calc_MeridionalTransport.m.

Cheers,
Ou Wang