[ecco-support] Two questions about ECCO V4r2

Qihua Peng q7peng at ucsd.edu
Mon Dec 4 19:43:54 EST 2017

Dear teachers,
Nice to see you. My name is Qihua Peng, a student of UCSD. Recently I tried
to rerun the ECCO v4r2, and I have two questions:

1.In terms of the resolution of ECCO v4r2, the file (size.h) shows:  sNx =
30,sNy =  30,OLx =   4,OLy =   4,nSx =   1,nSy =   1,nPx =  96,nPy =   1.
It seems the resolution of ECCO v4r2 is : Nx  = sNx*nSx*nPx=2880 in x
direction and  Ny  = sNy*nSy*nPy=30 in y direction.  The resolution seems
too dense in zonal direction and too coarse in meridional direction. I
think there must be something wrong for my understanding of the resolution
of LLC90 grid.

2. I have downloaded all the forcing data and I found all the wind stress
data have reverse sign such as: westerly zonal wind should be positive in
the value but in the forcing data of ECCO (ftp://mit.ecco-group.org/ecco
_for_las/version_4/release2/input_forcing/) it's negative, so I'd like to
know why is that? Is it due to the LLC90 grid? if it is , I'd like to know
how to plot this vector field correctly.

Thanks for your kindness and help.

Bests,
Qihua