[Dspace-general] defining metadata fields - question from newbies

Dorothea Salo dsalo at library.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 24 11:15:48 EDT 2009

2009/3/24 Platt, Alice <a.platt at snhu.edu>:
> I am part of a team implementing a DSpace Manakin framework for our
> institutional repository. It appears to me that when an administrator is
> adding an item to a collection, the metadata fields that are available can
> not be changed on the front end by the administrator. It seems the community
> must be programmed on the back end to make certain metadata elements
> available. (At least, this is what I am gleaning from reading the “DSpace
> how-to guide: tips and tricks for managing common DSpace chores” document on
> the DSpace wiki.)

You are correct. You will have to work with either or both of
input-forms.xml or the Configurable Submission System. If you are
adding brand-new fields, you will also have to use the Metadata
Registry, but that can be done through the web UI.

Dorothea

Dorothea Salo                dsalo at library.wisc.edu
Digital Repository Librarian      AIM: mindsatuw
University of Wisconsin
Rm 218, Memorial Library
(608) 262-5493