[Dspace-general] defining metadata fields - question from newbies

Platt, Alice a.platt at snhu.edu
Tue Mar 24 10:47:58 EDT 2009

I am part of a team implementing a DSpace Manakin framework for our institutional repository. It appears to me that when an administrator is adding an item to a collection, the metadata fields that are available can not be changed on the front end by the administrator. It seems the community must be programmed on the back end to make certain metadata elements available. (At least, this is what I am gleaning from reading the "DSpace how-to guide: tips and tricks for managing common DSpace chores" document on the DSpace wiki.)

Before we begin programming specific metadata elements, however, I want to confirm that I'm correct about this. Thank you!

Alice Platt
Digital Initiatives Librarian
Shapiro Library
Southern New Hampshire University