[Dspace-general] Jumpbox for DSpace announcement

Michele Kimpton michele at dspace.org
Tue Jun 16 09:57:18 EDT 2009

JumpBox delivers a 2-minute install of the DSpace open source
repository software

Tempe, Arizona, June 16th, 2009 -- JumpBox, publisher of virtual
appliances that
provide the easiest way to trial, develop, and deploy Open Source
applications, today
announced the availability of the JumpBox for DSpace. This addition
marks the fiftieth
JumpBox in its growing catalogue of time-saving virtual appliances for
Open Source
software.

DSpace is an open source application that enables organizations to
manage, share and
preserve their research output. The software is primarily used by
academia and cultural
heritage institutions that want to share their research output and
ensure the content
persists over time. The DSpace application was created through a
collaboration between
M.I.T and HP Labs, and is now used by over 500 organizations around
the world. DSpace
supports all forms of digital media including, images, audio, movies,
text and other rich
media.

"We know of many organizations that would like to get started with
DSpace but do not have
the technical support or know how" says Michele Kimpton, Executive
Director of the DSpace
Foundation. "JumpBox allows them to deploy DSpace in a self-contained
fashion in minutes
minimizing the effort necessary to get up and running. This translates
to a simplified
evaluation process for schools and reduced installation cost and
headache."
"Consistent with our goal of helping people be more productive with
Open Source software,
we're thrilled to be able to make this JumpBox available as a free
resource for the DSpace
community and to support the DSpace project and its principles." says
Kimbro Staken, CEO
of JumpBox Inc.

The JumpBox for DSpace runs under virtualization on every major
operating system and is
available for immediate download via the DSpace website. http://www.dspace.org/index.php?/Virtual-Application/

About DSpace
DSpace is the software of choice for academic, non-profit, and
commercial organizations
building open digital repositories. It is free and easy to install
"out of the box" and
completely customizable to fit the needs of any organization. DSpace
preserves and enables
easy and open access to all types of digital content including text,
images, moving images,
mpegs and data sets. And with an ever-growing community of developers
committed to
continuously expanding and improving the software, each DSpace
installation benefits from
the next. DSpace was initially developed through a collaboration
between M.I.T. and
Hewlett Packard Labs. For more information visit http://www.dspace.org.

About JumpBox
JumpBox simplifies server software deployment, publishing pre-built,
pre-configured virtual
appliances that deploy in minutes. More than 30,000 JumpBoxes are in
use worldwide.
JumpBox Open is a subscription suite of productivity enhancing virtual
computing
applications for IT infrastructure, content management, collaboration,
project management,
and more. For more information, visit JumpBox on the web
athttp://www.jumpbox.com.
All brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks
are the
properties of their respective owners. All rights reserved.