[Dspace-general] register new user in DSpace problem

Mark H. Wood mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Wed Feb 25 10:01:11 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 03:50:41PM +0545, Vijay Shrestha wrote:
> Once again I have query about DSpace. In DSpace, I tried to register new
> user in order to maintain different collection as my institution is holding
> different digital collections and each collection is assigned to different
> person. But I am not able to add new user. The DSpace shows internal error
> while registering new user. The error is as below
> "Internal System Error
> The system has experienced an internal error. Please try to do what you were
> doing again, and if the problem persists, please contact us so we can fix
> the problem."

That message can be confusing.  Where it says, "contact us", what it
means is that the user should contact *you*, the person in charge of
the application.  The message is for end users, and seems to be meant
to be soothing rather than detailed.

I'd suggest looking in the servlet container's log files for more
information.  In the case of Tomcat, catalina.log and catalina.out are
the files I would inspect.  If you find something related to the
problem, but it is unclear or you are uncertain how to proceed, we're
all here to help.

> I went through the DSpace manual as well. I did not find the location of
> xmlui.user.registration in configuration file.

I find it about 15 lines below the heading "XMLUI SPECIFIC
CONFIGURATIONS", but this is just a Properties file, so you can code
it anywhere.  This is probably not related to your present problem,
however.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.