[Dspace-general] Photo import/workflow?

Refsvik Kjell Are kjell.refsvik at hig.no
Tue Apr 28 04:25:10 EDT 2009

Hi,

Looking for a platform to be our institutional digital repository, I
have chosen to take a closer look at DSpace.

While there is little doubdt that DSpace covers our needs in terms of
archiving academic written work, I have also been asked to evaluate
its ability to be our hosting plattform for our steadily growing
collection of digital(ly born) photos and other data-types.

After browsing the archives of this mailing lists, and reading the
FAQ, my main questions are:

1. Has any of you experience or thoughts about linking practical
software like Adobe Photoshop Lightroom to a DSpace Collection?

2. Are there any examples of good Workflows out there to solve the
needs in terms of vetting/editorial control of images that are
delivered to a DSpace collection?

3. Could scripts or software be built around the import command in
order to build our own delivery programs/plugins?

4. Has anyone got experience in replacing the use of slideshare.com,
flickr.com, youtube.com and other online hosting services with a local
DSpace installation? I have people here who wants a low threshold when
it comes to publishing material, but I am still not sure if DSpace is
the appropriate platform to replace these popular online services.

Sincerely regards,

Kjell Are Refsvik
Digital Repository Project
Gjøvik University College