[Dspace-general] FW: export to MARC format?

Mark Jordan mjordan at sfu.ca
Thu Apr 23 13:05:02 EDT 2009

Hi Barbara,

We exported about 4500 MARC records describing our insitution's retrospective theses from our ILS and converted them into DSpace import packages (we had scanned the theses) and batch loaded them into DSpace. We wrote a Perl script to do this one-time conversion from MARC->DSpace DC.

I suppose you could write this type of script to take a MARC file containing a batch of records and convert it, or, alternatively, use a Z39.50 query on your catalogue and convert the result set from that query into DC and load it into DSpace. Either of these processes would need to be pretty straight forward if they were to be done on a periodic basis.

Ideally the metadata exchange between ILS and DSpace would be service oriented, for example, making the ILS a SWORD server and DSpace a SWORD client. This type of data exchange is also a natural application for OAI-PMH. I think these capabilities are beyond any commercial ILS, however.

Mark

Mark Jordan
Head of Library Systems
W.A.C. Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, British Columbia, V5A 1S6, Canada
Voice: 778.782.5753 / Fax: 778.782.3023
mjordan at sfu.ca