[Dspace-general] storage of full-text outside DSpace

Bram Luyten bram at mire.be
Tue Jun 3 10:07:58 EDT 2008

Dear Karen,

one of the biggest drawbacks, when you decide to exclude full-text from the
submission, is that your full-text won't be indexed in the Lucene search
indexes in DSpace.
As a consequence, the only information that will be used in the search, will
be the metadata of your items.

On the other hand, if you really want to go this way, it is now by default
possible in DSpace 1.5 to disable the hard requirement to include a
full-text in the submission (so you can skip the file upload step). We often
see that authors or institutions choose to take the approach, to provide a
URL, rather than uploading the full text.

an example: https://lirias.kuleuven.be/handle/123456789/15035

In many cases, this is because they feel more secure (in a copyright-way)
when linking to the website of the publisher, instead of uploading the
full-text in the repository.

with kindest regards,

Bram Luyten

--