[Dspace-general] Controlled Vocabulary

Stuart Macdonald stuart.macdonald at ed.ac.uk
Tue Feb 12 08:51:21 EST 2008

We're in the process of setting up a pilot digital repository of
cross-disciplinary research datasets produced at the University of
Edinburgh (see URL: http://datashare.edina.ac.uk/dspace/) - one of the
issues we're grappling with at the moment is the idea of a controlled
vocabulary. There appears to be 2 'default' controlled vocabulary
schemes in xml supported by DSpace (namely the Norwegian Science Index
and the Swedish Research Subject Categories) which can be utilised by
the keyword entry box.
Does anyone have any advice or information regarding the implementation
of other schemes such as UDC, DDC, LCC? For example , are we correct in
thinking that we'd have to 'purchase' the classification scheme (in the
case of UDC it's about £2000 p.a.) or are there DSpace instances that
are freely available?

Any clarity and/or assistance in this matter would be appreciated.

regards
Stuart Macdonald