[Dspace-general] [Dspace-tech] Week 2: Statistics

Bram Luyten bram at mire.be
Mon Aug 25 19:23:39 EDT 2008

Dear Dorothea,

inspiring question ! There's a huge range of interesting options to explore
in the area of statistics, measurement and repository usage tracking.

Following ideas could be relevant to end-users:

It might be interesting for authors if they are able to see which dspace (or
google) search queries, lead to his items. This could be displayed as the
top ten of most popular searches, that lead to a specific item.

If download per bitstream, and splash page visits are being tracked, it
might be useful if they could be used to display different rankings//lists

Rankings by collection or community & the possibility to locate a certain
item in those rankings.
Use Case: if you can see that your item is one of the best "performing"
items in your collection, you might be interested how it performs in the
context of the above lying community.

Order by hits or downloads, for "items-by-author"
Use Case: if you found an interesting author, with a lot of papers relevant
in your context, you might want to start off with his most popular items.

with kindest regards,

Bram Luyten

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Dorothea Salo <dsalo at library.wisc.edu>wrote:

> Greetings, DSpace community,
>
> I want to thank everyone once again for last week's stimulating
> discussion and impressive chat turnout! I have a new question for
> everyone this week, pursuant to some discussion on the lists:
>
> "Statistics" are one of the commonest requests for a new DSpace
> feature. Without further specification, however, it's hard to know
> what data to present, since there are no standards or even clear best
> practices in this area. What statistics do the following groups of
> DSpace users need to see, and in what form are the statistics best
> presented to them?
>
> Depositors
> End-users (defined as "people examining items and downloading
> bitstreams from a DSpace instance;" we may have to refine this further
> in discussion)
> DSpace repository managers (as distinct from systems administrators)
>
> What else should developers keep in mind as they implement this feature?
>
> Because it would be nice to reach a working consensus on this (unlike
> last week's question, which was intended to pull out as broad a
> selection of needs as possible), I think we should start discussing
> immediately. I encourage all respondents to respond TO THE MAILING
> LIST instead of to me.
>
> I will be holding another chat to discuss the weekly question. It will
> take place Wednesday 27 August in the DSpace IRC chatroom, #dspace on
> irc.freenode.net. I apologize to West Coast (USA) community members
> for last week's unconscionably early hour; we'll try 10 am US Central
> (11 am Eastern, 4 pm GMT) this week, and we may go even later next
> week if our European community members can stand it.
>
> For those who don't normally use IRC, there are two easy web gateways.
> One is mibbit.com; the other is specific to our channel and can be
> found at <http://dspace.testathon.net/cgi-bin/irc.cgi>. I encourage
> all of us to become familiar with the channel; it is a source of
> real-time technical information from DSpace developers, as well as a
> community in its own right.
>
> Dorothea
>
> --
> Dorothea Salo dsalo at library.wisc.edu
> Digital Repository Librarian AIM: mindsatuw
> University of Wisconsin
> Rm 218, Memorial Library
> (608) 262-5493

@mire NV