[Dspace-general] Week 2: Statistics

Christophe Dupriez christophe.dupriez at destin.be
Wed Aug 27 04:37:12 EDT 2008

Hi Dorothea and participants to this discussion!

I would like to say that statistics are there for different purposes:
1) detect errors (why nobody looked at my site last sunday?)
2) provide KPI (Key Performance Indicators), measures that a manager
follows on the medium term to take organisational decisions
3) investigate new hypothesis before investing to change the organisation.

For purpose (3), by essence, you need to "open" to analysis the detailed
logs of the events and the data stored in DSpace. Generic programs like
SAS or reports generators are the best to dig in data and answer to new,
unforeseen questions. Everybody in the community will be happy to have
this "back door" available.

For purpose (2), we need to know what KPIs are needed by IR managers. I
will go further, new IRs and their managers would be very happy not to
reinvent KPIs and to have good ones already proposed to sustain a
documented IR development process. A very big part of DSpace
attractiveness is (and should be implemented really!) that it provides
"best practices" for IR management (and not only computing).

For purpose (2), Use cases, practices, measures must be designed
upfront. It will contribute strongly to the overall specifications of
DSpace.

For purpose (1), a more formal, bottom up, data driven approach may be
sufficient to install validation tools (like the checksum checker) to
ensure that DSpace operations are "in line".

So we have no choice: we have to listen IR managers (please come by!) to
know the good practices DSpace must support...

Have a nice day!

Christophe
(peeking on the list when I should not during my holidays!)