[Dspace-general] Week 2: Statistics

Mark H. Wood mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Thu Aug 28 09:16:06 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 10:39:21AM +0200, Hussein Suleman wrote:
> without getting into whether event streams should be logged to file or
> database, this is probably in general the way to go. though i would
> recommend that this is done on a broader scale so analysis tools are
> interoperable among the major repository software systems.
>
> (there was some research on an XML log file format a while back but it
> did not go far)

One difficulty with logging to XML is that, strictly speaking, it's
not possible.  The document element cannot reliably be closed by the
logging application.

Practically, it should be simple to close the document element after
log cutoff by just pasting the closing tag onto the end of the file
before ingestion, but it's a minor weakness of the XML approach.

I agree that flat-file representations of usage event data should be
designed for general usability by a variety of tools.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he