[Dspace-general] SMTP server causing internal error when trying to register new user

Shomorony, Ilan ilan at WPI.EDU
Tue Apr 15 17:57:23 EDT 2008

Thanks, but we do have a mail server running on port 25. I actually just checked the log file again, and the internal error is not related to SMTP anymore (after I wrote localhost for the mail server) but the exception is now related to a failure in the authentication... Our SMTP server doesn't require authentication, so I don't really know what could be causing that... Is there any other configuration besides the SMTP server and the authentication (which I left commented) be causing this?

Thanks again,

Ilan
From: James Rutherford [james.rutherford at hp.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 5:02 AM
To: Shomorony, Ilan
Cc: dspace-general at mit.edu
Subject: Re: [Dspace-general] SMTP server causing internal error when   trying to register new user

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 06:57:47AM +0000, Shomorony, Ilan wrote:
> Whenever I try to register a new user in DSpace I get an "Internal
> Error" message, and when I check the log file, it seems to have to do
> with the SMTP server. Would a bad SMTP mail server configuration cause
> this kind of error?

Yes, absolutely. The system will try to email the new user upon
registration.

> In the config file, for mail.server I have simply localhost, but do I
> need to specify anything else (like the port)? Or is the cause of the
> problem something else?

Is there a mail server running on port 25 on localhost? If not, that's
the problem. You need to point the config at a real SMTP server
otherwise it will break.

cheers,

Jim

--
James Rutherford          |  Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office:
Research Engineer         |  Cain Road,

The contents of this message and any attachments to it are confidential
and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message in
error, you should delete it from your system immediately and advise the
sender. To any recipient of this message within HP, unless otherwise
stated you should consider this message and attachments as "HP
CONFIDENTIAL".