[Dspace-general] Authority files

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 24 18:27:37 EDT 2007

Hi Glen,

I apologize for not replying earlier. As far as I know, there is no
general approach to name authority control via the DSpace submission UI
today. You're probably remembering the experiment we did with OCLC using
their name authority Web Service, which worked quite well except for the
fact that most of our DSpace submitters aren't published book authors so
they weren't in the authority file. That's the main problem with
authority control in IRs... who has the authoritative list of names?

If you have a name authority list to use, then if it's small you could
make the author field a drop-down list. If it's large (as I'm sure it is
in your case) then you would need a Web Service like OCLC's that
contained all your names.  MIT is working on something like that with
our campus HR system, but we don't have it working yet -- maybe in six
months? And if it works here then you might be able to do something
similar for your own institution.

Best,

MacKenzie

--