[Dspace-general] authority files

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 28 10:34:23 EST 2005

Many of us already have quite good local name authority files.
The problem was how to link them up to OCLC's sophisticated
name authority matching heuristics, which is done on their
server behind the Web Service interface.

i.e. how to make their server-side process fall through to a local
authority file (potentially different for each query) when there is
no match on the LCNAF or other national authority file?
Not obvious...

I don't think the DSpace community would want to replicate
the national name authority files as RePEc appears to be doing,
so the question is how to combine them with local individuals
who aren't already represented there.

MacKenzie

kenzie at mit.edu