[Dspace-general] Authority files

Jeffrey Trimble jatrimble at ysu.edu
Tue Sep 25 14:26:53 EDT 2007

MacKenzie, et al.,

While I understand the issues below, I'd like to place out on the
table for
discussion some ways in which we could creatively "push the envelope"
for development in this area.

First, some assumptions to be mentioned, and then some suggestions:

1.  There is not DC or QDC for authority data.

2.  Authority data currently is stored in either MARC21 format or in
some type
of XML format using MARC21 schema for example.

3.  Current DSpace Postgres is not storing the data in QDC or DC.  Only
upon item export is the data formatted in DC/MODS, etc.

Suggestions/possibilities:

1.  Create tables in Postgres to store authority data.  (i.e.,
authors, and
their cross references (see and see alsos).  (Subject headings, and
their
appropriate thesaurie).

2.  Records could be imported using our regular import tools--of course
with some adjustments.  Crosswalking from MARC21 to DC is a bit a
problem
but there are tools out there to do that.  And of course, manual
creation
via our usual UI (jsp or Manakin)

3.  Integrate these tables into the browse indexes as "informational
headings"
for the established term, and cross references for the "see" and "see
also" terms.

Since DC or QDC has no define structure for authority records,
perhaps it is time
to think outside the box.  Yes, I am aware of the newer features in
DSpace 1.4.x
that can give browse-ability to theasuri, but how many theasuri are
in the format
specified?  (LCSH, MeSH, and AAT are not).

We are thinking of having a student manually code a file with AAT in
it, but that
file will be MASSIVE to say the least.  And then someone will want me
to have
LCSH coded into XML for their use.

While it was at least 5 to 10 years before authority control caught
on with library
ILS vendors back in the 1980s/1990s, this should be given great
consideration
for IRs since hind sight is 20/20, and many libraries are still
cleaning up the
messes caused by the lack of authority control.

Jeffrey Trimble
Systems Librarian
Maag Library
Youngstown State University